Pennsylvania Drivers Learner's Permit

About Us | Contact Us |

Customer Service (800) 990-2814

From Permit To License

Learn every step you need to take to
get from Driver’s Ed to your
Driver’s License

DMV Approved

Driver’s Ed Online

Special Offer. Limited Time

You’ve Got Enough To Think About So Let Us Help You Out!

Forms are VERY important! Especially when it comes to getting your permit. Follow the instructions below, have all your documents in order, and to make things easier for yourself, make an appointment with the Driver License Center (To schedule an appointed please visit PennDot's Teen Driver's Info Center and select "Schedule Your Driver's Test.")

Getting Your Permit

Forms You’ll Need

  • DL-180 – this form must be signed by a doctor stating that you are healthy enough to drive. and will need to be completed by a parent or guardian.
  • DL-180C - verifies you've completed at least 50 hours of driving experience.
  • DL-180TD - consent form signed by your parents/guardian.

Other Documents To Bring
  • Your Social Security card (card cannot be laminated)
  • One of the following (original documents will be accepted):
    Birth Certificate with raised seal (U.S. issued by an authorized government agency, including U.S. territories or Puerto Rico. Non-U.S. Birth Certificates will not be accepted)
    Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (BCIS/INS Form N-560)
    Certificate of Naturalization (BCIS/INS Form N-550 or N-570)
    Valid U.S. Passport
  • A check or money order payable to PennDOT for the appropriate fee. Cash is not accepted.
Applying for a Junior License

Since you’ll be taking a Driving Test you’ll need to bring the following:

  • Your learner's permit.
  • Form DL-180C that verifies you've completed at least 50 hours of driving experience.
  • Registration for the car you’ll be using to take the road test.
  • Proof of insurance for the car you’ll be using to take the road test.

Also, make sure the licensed driver who brought you to the Driver License Center brings his license.

Please Note:  If you fail the road test, you must wait seven days before you may try again. You will get three chances to pass the test before you’ll have to apply for a permit extension with Form DL-31.

Getting your Regular License

You will need to bring the following completed forms:

  • Form DL-59 - Application From Junior Driver’s License to Regular Driver’s License.
  • Form DL-180TD - a Parent or Guardian Consent form (if you're younger than 18).


Driver's Ed Course
Available - Learn More

I Drive Safely BBB Business Review

Testimonial Testimonial *
  • This was a good course with helpful information, and I could go at my own pace. This makes me feel like I better understand the rules of the road.

    Rachel D
    Driver Education Course

  • I liked the I Drive Safely course because I'm usually a pretty busy person with work, school, and sports, and it gave me the opportunity to complete the material on my own time.

    Vincent B
    PA Teen Driver STANDARD
    Driver's Education Course

  • A very positive experience. Instructions for various driving situations and procedures are highly detailed and informative. The videos and interactive tutorials are also a good help.

    Driver Education Course

Steps You Need To Take

Find everything you need to know about getting your license. From signing up to applying for your license. It's all right here in "Steps to Get Your License".

Got Questions?

Get the answers you need to questions you ask the most including details about the course, concerns about getting your license and info about our company.

Forms You’ll Need

Before you head out to apply for your license, make sure you're prepared. In this section, you'll find a list of the forms and documents you will probably need.

Pennsylvania Drivers Ed


Sign Up Now

©1998-2015 I Drive Safely, L.L.C. All rights reserved