You're amped to finally get behind the wheel and drive — and you should be! It's time for you to get the learners permit Indiana residents all require before receiving that coveted license. But you've got a few more steps to go before you get to that point, like taking an Indiana Drivers Ed course. The best part about enrolling in this course is that you'll learn everything you need to know to get in gear and start driving the right way.
Get in the Fast Lane for Your Permit
Keep in mind, part of the Indiana learner's permit requirements are that you must be at least 15 years old in order to receive driver education. And, there are other requirements of behind-the-wheel training you must abide by to get your Indiana drivers permit, like logging 50 hours of driving time — 10 of which must be at night — with a certified driving instructor or a licensed driver 25 years or older. So, be open to taking some as well, kiddos. You'll only get better by learning to drive with a seasoned pro!
This is an exciting time for every teen. After all, getting your Indiana learners permit is supposed to be fun. But it can also be a bit overwhelming, which is why I Drive Safely put together this blow-by-blow guide to getting your license. Starting with pointers on Driver's Ed, the guide takes you through the particulars of the entire process - right up to getting your full driver's license.
Steps to Getting Your Drivers Permit
- Step 1-Complete our BMV-Approved Drivers Ed Course
- Step 2-Enroll in a behind-the-wheel training program
- Step 3-Get your permit right away!
- Step 4-Apply for your Indiana drivers license
Complete our BMV-Approved Drivers Ed Course
You must be at least 15 years old to enroll in our Teen Drivers Ed Course. Once you've gone through all the chapters, you just need to pass the final, and you're DONE!
Enroll in a behind-the-wheel training program
Once the online course has been completed, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. You will need to take this to an approved driver training school to enroll in behind-the-wheel training. The school will provide you with a Certificate of Driver Enrollment. Then, you can go to the BMV and apply for your permit.
Get your permit right away!
Make sure to bring the following with you to the BMV:
- Proof of enrollment in a behind-the-wheel training program.
- Proof of identity. You will need to bring with you one (1) document to prove each of the following: Your Name, Date of Birth, Social Security Number and your lawful status in the US. You will also need to bring two (2) documents to prove your Indiana residency.
- Completed "Agreement of Financial Liability" form.
- You will also be required to pass a standard vision test.
Once you have received your learners permit, you can drive while accompanied by a certified driving instructor or your parent/legal guardian, as long as they have a valid Indiana drivers license.
Apply for your Indiana Drivers License
Check to make sure you meet the following criteria before you go in to get your drivers license:
- You must be at least 16 years and 180 days old to apply for your Indiana Drivers License
- To apply for a driver's license, you must visit a license branch and present documents of identification and provide a signed Log of Supervised Driving. You may obtain the log at any BMV-approved behind the wheel school. The state of Indiana requires 50 hours of supervised driving; of which 10 hours must be completed at night.
- You must have completed both drivers ed and behind-the-wheel training
Once you have met the above criteria and are prepared to take your driving test, visit your nearest BMV.
You will be tested on the following:
- Written Examination
- Driving Skills Test
- Vision Screening Test
Don't forget to bring proper identification documents with you to the BMV!
Start working on getting your license: take our award-winning online Driver's Ed course.